Wednesday 9 January 2013

WOOL by Hugh Howey - Century's biggest fiction debut for 2013

Century’s biggest fiction debut for 2013
A self-published phenomenon in the US,
WOOL has sold over 250,000 copies from word-of-mouth alone!

Film rights sold to Ridley Scott and Steve Zaillian (Schindler's List, Gangs of New York) is to write the script ...

'WOOL'
By Hugh Howey
Published in hardback by Century, 17th January 2013

RRP £9.99
ISBN 9781780891231

‘Exhilarating, intense, addictive. A novel you will never forget.’
SJ Watson, author of 'Before I Go to Sleep'

The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. In the ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo. Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies.

To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are given the very thing they profess to want: they are allowed outside.

Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.

     


Hugh Howey Bio

Born in 1975, I spent the first eighteen years of my life getting through the gauntlet of primary education. While there, I dabbled in soccer, chess, and tried to write my first novel (several times).

Out of school, I became fascinated with computers, repaired them for a brief stint, then moved to Charleston, SC and attended college. To save money, I purchased a small sailboat to live on, and nearly got myself killed bringing it down from Baltimore with a friend.

After my junior year of college, possibly out of fear of the real world, I left my safe little harbor and sailed South. I hopped around the islands for a while, went through two hurricanes, and spent the last of my cruising funds re-stepping my mast. It was time to head back to the States, where I began a career as a yacht captain.

This began an exciting phase of my life, travelling all over the East coast and Caribbean, from Barbados to Chicago. I worked on boats in New York, the Bahamas, even Canada. One of these adventures brought me together with my wife, who was able to lure me away from my vagabond ways, dropping anchor and buying a house.
Physically settled, my mind continued to roam, concocting adventures and whisking me off to fantastic places. Some of these tales seemed worth sharing, so I tapped into my love of books and decided to write them down. My first stories detail the life of a character that I’ve been mulling over for quite some time. Her name is Molly Fyde, and she draws inspiration from the awesome women in my life.

Wool became a sudden success in the autumn of 2011. Originally just a novelette, the demand from Amazon reviewers sent me scurrying to write more tales in this subterranean world. The resulting Omnibus has spent considerable time in the Amazon top 100, has been a #1 Bestseller in Science Fiction on Amazon, and was optioned by Ridley Scott and Steve Zaillian for a potential feature film. The story of its success has been mentioned in Entertainment Weekly, Variety, and Deadline Hollywood among many others. I’m thrilled that Random House will be publishing the hardback.

When I’m not writing, I like to go for hikes with my family, take a stroll on the beach, and keep up with my reading. I currently live in Jupiter, Florida with my wife Amber and our dog Bella.

For further information on Hugh Howey, 'Wool' and Century Publishing please see the links below:

Enter the WOOL Artwork Competition here

Hugh Howey Official Twitter Feed @hughhowey   #ThisIsWool

Official THIS IS WOOL site


Official Hugh Howey site

You Tube Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment