Enter Writers' Centre Norwich Escalator Literature Competition
What type of genre writing do you specialise in? Whether it's a nail-biting crime writing novel or a sublime twist of historical fiction, prepare to enter your best genre fiction writing to Escalator Literature Competition to win a year’s worth of professional development, funding support, and intros to agents and publishers.
Deadline: Wednesday 28th November 2012 by 5pm
This year's Escalator scheme is looking for writers of genre fiction or inventive mash-ups of genre. Open to writers from the East of England who want to get professional, enter now if you think you would benefit from:
• One-To-One Mentoring
A year’s worth of support from professional writers (Tobias Hill, Natasha Cooper, Cathi Unsworth, David Rain and Michelle Spring).
• Supported Applications For Grants
You will be coached through an application for an Arts Council England.
• Professional Development Workshops
A tailored range of workshops designed to give you the information you need to get ahead in the world of genre writing.
• Introductions To Agents and Publishers
Your work will be introduced to agents, publishers and other industry professionals and you will take part in a special London reception at the end of the year promoting you and your work.
• Peer Support
Across 2013, ten winning genre fiction writers will be supported through Escalator Literature. Many of the Escalator graduates are still in touch with their group and find it of invaluable benefit to go through the year talking to each other.When?
The Escalator Literature Genre Fiction Competition is open now. Submissions must reach us by 5pm on Wednesday 28th November. See eligibility guidelines below.It Works
Escalator Literature is an Arts Council funded initiative and has been running for seven years. Many Escalator Literature prize winners have gone on to find agents and get published: Guy Saville, Helen Ivory, Susan Sellers and Nicola Upson are all graduates of the scheme.Who Can Apply?
We welcome applications from writers of ambitious, high quality genre fiction, which include Crime, Thriller, Horror, Ghost, Mystery, Historical, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Speculative Fiction, Romance, Humour, Espionage and inventive mash-ups of genre (think Haruki Murakami).
Escalator Literature is open to writers currently resident in the East of England, who think that a period of structured support would enable them to develop artistically. Successful applicants will demonstrate considerable creative talent and potential for development and will commit to the Escalator Literature scheme and the work they undertake as part of it.Eligibility Guidelines:
• Be over the age of 18 years old
• Be resident in the East of England (Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk)
• Application must be in written in English
• Submit single authored works only
• Demonstrate creative talent and potential for development
• Be available to attend a mentoring session on Saturday 26 January 2013
• Be writers of genre fiction: Crime, Thriller, Horror, Ghost, Mystery, Historical, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Speculative Fiction, Romance, Humour, Espionage and inventive mash-ups of genre
Applicants must not
• Be studying for a full time academic qualification in creative writing at the time of applying for the GFTA (January 2013)
• Applicants must not have previously published or self published a full length work of fiction
• Applicants must not have received an Arts Council Grants for the Arts award in the previous three years
• Applicants must not be employees of Writers’ Centre Norwich
Want to Apply? Here's How:
Please pay online here, filling in the questionnaire and then printing out your e-receipt. You will need to pay a processing fee of £5 online, and we accept credit and debit cards.
Applicants may not apply more than once.
If you have not already registered with Writers’ Centre Norwich you will be asked to register.
If you are unable to pay online please contact 01603 877177.
Once you have paid online please submit the following by post:
• A Sample Of Your Work (3 x copies)*
Up to 3000 words typed (hand-written submissions will not be accepted), single-spaced 12pt on A4. Note – this sample of work should be a sample of work that demonstrates the quality of your writing and should be an extract from a piece of longer writing.
• An Application Letter (3 x copies)*
Please send a type-written covering letter no longer than one side of A4 paper including:
• The context and scope of your writing submission
• A short biography of your writing history
• An explanation of where you are in your writing life and how you would benefit from Escalator Literature
• The Receipt From Your Online Payment
*Please include your online booking reference number on all copies of your documentation. You can include your name on your application letter, but please do not include it on your writing submission.
Please send the receipt for your online payment along with three copies of your writing sample and three copies of your covering letter to:
Writers’ Centre Norwich
14 Princes Street
DEADLINE: Wednesday 28th November 2012 by 5pm
Your application must reach their office by this date.
If you need further information about the Escalator Genre Fiction Competition then Writers' Centre Norwich are very happy to talk to you informally and answer any questions:
Please contact: Anna Selby on 01603 877177.
The ten Escalator winners and commended applicants will be notified by Wednesday 23rd January 2013. Good luck!
For further info please visit Writers' Centre Norwich.
Post a Comment