Monday 30 April 2012

The Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award 2012


"Winning the Foyle Young Poets of the Year changed the way I saw myself and my future. In short, it made me realise I could devote my life to the thing I loved, if I had enough determination". Former Foyle Winner and 2012 Judge, Helen Mort.

The Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award is an opportunity for any young poet aged 11-17 to accelerate their writing career. Since it began 15 years ago the Award has kick-started the career of some of today’s most exciting new voices, including this year’s judge Helen Mort. With over 7,000 young poets entering each year from across the UK and beyond, to reach the top 100 is to be marked out as a rising literary star. The fifteen overall winners will be published in an anthology and be invited to a week-long residential Arvon course or receive a poet visit to their school followed by distance mentoring (age dependent).  All 100 poets (15 overall winners and 85 commended) benefit from ongoing support and encouragement, via publication, performance and internship opportunities. Any young person writing in English (from the UK or far beyond) can enter the competition.

For full details and to enter online go to www.foyleyoungpoets.org

Deadline: 31st July 2012. Judges: Helen Mort and Christopher Reid.

No comments:

Post a Comment